October 20, 2004

Flu shots.

Dennis Miller tonight: "Thousands of people are waiting hours in lines [with] hopes of getting ... [a] flu shot. You know, folks, I've had the flu, and if there's one thing worse than getting the flu, it's being in a line with other strangers for hours. Okay? You'd rather have the flu."

Doesn't waiting around in crowds generally increase the chances of passing along all manner of infectious diseases? One benefit I'm seeing to the flu shot shortage is I don't have to listen to a lot of earnest advice that I ought to get a flu shot. I've had the flu once. And it was really bad. It's the sickest I've ever felt in my life. A huge amount of sleeping was involved. But I've only gotten a flu shot once in my life--I know this reveals something about my abject subservience to government--and that was when the President of the United States told me too. So now, the President says, don't get a flu shot, and I'm fine with that. People, just don't touch doorknobs, don't shake hands, and stay out of range of flying nasal fluids. You're going to be okay!

No comments: