July 24, 2013

The return of a reader who had stayed away because it "became apparent that your blog had been held hostage by repetitive, inane, banal and ad hominem comments."

Here's some interesting email:
I have been a very long time reader and admirer. I just learned yesterday via Instapundit that you closed comments.

Congratulations!

Years ago I felt that your intelligent and witty blog commentariat added to the Althouse Blog. Recently I came to realize that the comment community was distracting from and spoiling your blog. I became a non reader. It wasn't easy to break my Althouse habit but it became apparent that your blog had been held hostage by repetitive, inane, banal and ad hominem comments. Forgive me.... but a "circle jerk." Yes, I know I didn't have to click on comments but it was so easy to do.....! A mistake every time. I now feel free from that time wasting temptation. Thank you.

I am thrilled you have elected to go 'commando'... comment free.

I am putting Althouse back near the top of my Favorites. I want to thank you for years of intelligent, interesting and provocative posts.

I can only hope that Instapundit isn't destroyed in the same fashion.
First, I don't think Instapundit will have the same experience. He has different software and PJ Media staff to do the work that I (and Meade) did by hand. And I think my style of blogging (and engaging with commenters) fomented a wild atmosphere that attracted and enabled some crazies and haters (along with some great and creative commenters). One commenter over at Instapundit — telling him not to link to me — complained that my opinions were "based on feelings and personal perceptions." I'm happy to own that. I want to bring that to my writing, and at the same time, I realize it's part of what made the comments evolve the way they did over the 9 years that the blog was also an open house party.

Second, I know some of those who were shut out feel angry and aggrieved, and I can see (for they write about me elsewhere) that some of them are eager to see the "traffic" to this blog plummet. But I did think I was losing readers who were letting my commenters affect how they saw me.  And this email reinforces that belief. I accept losing readers who were coming here for the comments, but it's interesting to think of gaining readers who may have shunned this place because of the commenters who made it feel toxic. I'd long had the problem of commenters making my site look "right-wing." I'm a political moderate. I didn't mind comments that contrasted with what I said. But in the last months of comments, the toxicity came from commenters who meant to poison this blog to death.