January 5, 2015

"And while we're on the general subject, I saw the movie 'Big Eyes' yesterday, and before the film, the theater showed a commercial for Weight Watchers..."

"... which I found painfully funny as well as entertaining," said MisterBuddwing, commenting in last night's post about the "metabolic winter" theory.



Great commercial. I object to commercials in movie theaters, but if they're going to have them, it's good to be painfully funny and entertaining like that.

This topic and the movie title "Big Eyes" gave me a flashback to an old saying I haven't heard in a long while: "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach." I think that went out of fashion because it turned out the stomach was pretty good at adjusting its size.



That hilarious picture came up in a Google search on the old saying (on a blog, here).

There are many cartoon images for the old saying. Seems like everyone can think of this. Here's a better drawing of that. But stretch yourself, and you might get this. Try harder, and there's this.

12 comments:

Steven Wilson said...

That cc ad really made me hungry.

Steven Wilson said...

Dammit, that ad really made me hungry. Oh, and belated first.

I stuttered between commercial and ad. Hence the cc as though anyone cares or believes me.

rhhardin said...

I saw Larry Crowne, from the $1.98 DVD shelf. There was a bad husband role in that too.

Okay film, no plot. Woman finds nicer guy.

You could tell the husband was bad from about ten clues.

The nicer guy was nice to everybody.

rhhardin said...

Dogs sometimes finish the bowl and promptly throw up on the floor everything they ate.

The experienced dog owner will not clean this up. It will be spotless again in ten minutes.

Ann Althouse said...

The experienced dog owner will not let the dog lick his face.

Known Unknown said...

There's also this creepy advertising gem.

rhhardin said...

Dog owners have very stong immune systems.

Tank said...

That is a good commercial and hits right on a sore spot. Snacks are the enemy of losing weight and keeping it off. That is one of my "secrets" to being in the small minority who lost a lot of weight 40 years ago and kept it off. No snacks. Once you have the mindset, it's easy.

mikee said...

My stomach passed my eyes in size long ago. 2015 is the year I become much less myself than last year.

Wince said...

I remember being very young in a restaurant and constantly staring at the waitress because she was so tall.

I'm not sure if I made her feel self-conscious or she just thought I was hungry, but she told me my eyes were bigger than my stomach.

David said...

That wasn't funny. I need a snack.

Bill said...

I like the trend, if there is one, of using old-school music in commercials. Like this.