February 13, 2015

Have a nice Valentine's Day/Friday the 13th combo weekend.

I'd never noticed the collision of the 2 dreaded days before 2009:
Because it's a risky place out there. For example, I was out driving, hundreds of miles from home on Friday the 13th, and I blithely made a right turn and drove a half a block before I saw the oncoming traffic in my lane. I quickly made another right turn at the corner, and immediately saw the police car lights in my rear view mirror. The cop — with his beautiful blue eyes — was very handsome — very heart-of-the-heartland handsome. I effused "I'm so sorry." He asked us where we were going. I didn't wisecrack, "the wrong way, apparently."

We said where we were going, and afterward, I wondered what the hell difference did it make where we were going? Nosy cop. Nosy handsome cop. Nosy adorable cop with brilliant blue eyes. I'm theorizing that he asked because the thing is to ask anything to get the driver talking so that words might be slurred, incoherence demonstrated, or alcohol smelled. It's not a speeding ticket he'd like to give me, it's a DUI. And maybe the whole point of making that street 1-way is to net drunk drivers. Why was the cop right there? I bet every 10 minutes, somebody goes the wrong way at that turn, each one a potential DUI, and that was a net that I slithered through. But maybe Mr. Handsome Blue-Eyed Cop let me off because he liked the place we said we were going. And I got lucky that way on Friday the 13th.
No, that was not my first post about falling in love with Meade. This was. No, actually, this. Or was it "Record nails broken in car crash." No, it was "Althouse on the road":

Something very important happened here

In the comments, AJ Lynch said: "Althouse is...looking for love in all the wrong places. Heh. Be safe!" Yes, be very careful! You never know where your next wrong turn is or who might come tromping through the brush:

18 comments:

campy said...

"I'd never noticed the collision of the 2 dreaded days before 2009"

I noticed it in 1976.

Never try to buy flowers for the funeral of someone who dies on Feb. 13.

Amadeus 48 said...

Reading those posts and the comments makes me realize how much I miss Chip Ahoy, Bissage, Host with the Most, and other commenters from that time. Ah...the dogs bark and the caravan moves on. Come back, all.

Laslo Spatula said...

Because Dylan has something for everything:

People carry roses
And make promises by the hours
My love, she laughs like the flowers
Valentines can't buy her

And a page to guide Althouse + Meade through the day tomorrow.

I am Laslo.

SeanF said...

It's happened 8 times since I was born, but I don't know that I've ever noticed it before.

On average, it's just about every 7 years, but it varies. This is already the third time since 2000 ('04, '09, and '15), but after this year it won't happen again until 2026.

Biff said...

Rather amusing to see this remark by Meade in the comments to the Moss post:

"Cool image! Good to see a new fisheye tree post. Hope you had a good trip wherever you went. Looks like fun."

...and this response by the Professor, a few comments down:

You have no idea!

You crazy kids!

Ann Althouse said...

Yeah, there's lots of amusing stuff in the comments in those old '09 posts where it's not yet revealed that Meade and I are together.

MadisonMan said...

I like the Elder's comments as well.

How fortunate you are to have a written description of your courting days!

I'm going on a long-ish trip tonight. I'll try not to make a wrong turn. (I don't have a Garmin -- those things kill brain cells)

Curious George said...

"Ann Althouse said...
Yeah, there's lots of amusing stuff in the comments in those old '09 posts where it's not yet revealed that Meade and I are together."

Sure were:

Penny said...
On your back, in the not unfamiliar, pleasant dampness... The lengths we women are willing to go for just the right shot.

heh.

Laslo Spatula said...

Ah. Back in the day when Althouse was carefree.

I am laslo.

Darcy said...

Man. Bissage.

And Hector Owen, who has now passed. Good old days.

Laslo Spatula said...

If only I, Laslo, had been there at that time. Things would be different now.

There would be an "Althouse + Laslo" tag, for starters.

And Meade would be left to write comments involving asses and cucumbers.

I am Laslo.

I Have Misplaced My Pants said...

I was not 'round these parts in 2009, but on the subject of commenters I miss, I miss the contributions of both Chips, of Palladian, and of BagoH2O. Would be nice to see KentuckyLiz pop up. And it's been nice to see you lately, Darcy :)

I was married on a Friday the 13th.

And a black cat ran across the road in front of us on my way to the ceremony.

Hm.

MadisonMan said...

I noticed sloanasaurus made a brief re-appearance this week (or last week).

Pete said...

Plus, today's my birthday.

Curious George said...

My younger son is 33 today.

Bruce Hayden said...

Pretty easy to figure out - when Valentine's day is on a Saturday. I am pretty sure that I was married once on a Saturday Valentine's Day. I know it was on Valentine's, and think that it was a Saturday. Something about the coincidence meaning that I wouldn't forget it, and that we could get people to attend because it was a weekend. Marriage didn't work though - though I never forgot an anniversary.

And, Friday the 13th is my lucky day - I was born on one, many years ago, and, on rare occasion run into other Friday the 13ther.

Tyrone Slothrop said...

Tomorrow will be the 39th anniversary of my first, failed, marriage. We were too young.

1976 also had Friday the 13th followed by Valentine's Day. I don't remember remarking it at the time. I would have laughed it off anyway. I do believe I've gotten more superstitious with age, not less.

SeanF said...

Bruce Hayden: I am pretty sure that I was married once on a Saturday Valentine's Day. I know it was on Valentine's, and think that it was a Saturday. ... Marriage didn't work though - though I never forgot an anniversary.

I, too, have never forgotten an anniversary. My wife and I were married on Feb 2nd, 13 years ago - 02-02-02.