November 4, 2015

"Ariana Grande Is Not Here for Your Sexist Interview Questions."

I'm only posting about this because I already have an Ariana Grande tag. That tag only has one other post and it's a post that contains the phrase "I'm only posting because...."

The other post is "Thanks for licking the doughnut, Ariana Grande." She's the celebrity who licked a doughnut that was on a tray left unsupervised in a doughnut shop where anyone could just come up and lick it.

I appreciated her calling our attention to unattended doughnuts, and now she's applying her celebrity power to the problem of radio show hosts asking female celebrities questions like "If you had to choose between your phone and makeup, which would you give up?"

As for the doughnuts tag, which this post also gets, it's not languishing so unused I wish I'd never created it. It's rolling along. This is its 33rd appearance.

I wanted to illustrate this post with an image of a rolling doughnut. (Yeah, here's a good one.) But searching for "rolling doughnut" turned up "15 Things Kurt Vonnegut Said Better Than Anyone Else Ever Has Or Will," and one of them is: "Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

#1 on that list is "I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" I read that out loud to Meade without identifying the context and he thought I was reading something I'd written. His reaction was: "I think it's below your normal writing."

And that's it for the second Ariana Grande blog post.

18 comments:

richlb said...

Perhaps the most famous Kurt Vonnegut quote is something he didn't actually say. It's the infamous "Wear Sunscreen" college commencement speech that has been erroneously attributed to him over the years. The real origin of the text is Mary Schmich, who wrote it as a "theoretical commencement speech" that she never actually gave. But over the years it's been attached to Vonnegut as one he actually gave, which he did not.

Nonapod said...

Ariana Grande is one of those celebrities that has been forced into my brain against my will. I couldn't identify one of her songs and I doubt I could pick her out in a police lineup, but I recognize her name and can connect it with that infamous donut licking incident. I wish my brain wouldn't hoover up so much nonsense and while forgetting more important things.

Laslo Spatula said...

"Ariana Grande Is Not Here for Your Sexist Interview Questions."

Would asking her about her nude Fappening pictures be Sexist?

Because I'd like to ask her if she has any more of them.

I am Laslo.

madAsHell said...

licking doughnuts....I thought it was an allusion to cunnilingus.

buwaya said...

What would be a relevant, non sexist interview question for a female entertainer who trades on her sex appeal?
I suppose they could ask her about politics. Maybe that explains why so many are asked about politics actually.

Greg Hlatky said...

If she can't stand up to questions from New York magazine, how is she going to stand up to Putin?

tim maguire said...

I don't see anything special about the Vonnegut quotes. And I'm pretty sure the 16 year old me, however big a Vonnegut fan he might have been, wouldn't have seen anything special about them either. Just another stupid listicle.

Bill said...

Ariana Grande sounds like a Mexican budget airline.

Wince said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosalyn C. said...

'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" From all appearances you and Meade do have a very nice life, in case you don't know it.

Wince said...

"I wanted to illustrate this post with an image of a rolling doughnut."

Randy's Donuts sign has been featured rolling down the street in "Mars Attacks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtcLaY43qmE#t=52s

http://40.media.tumblr.com/a4dad4b160439acb752441a51cfba595/tumblr_nm3gbacuOw1tus777o4_r1_1280.png

"Wow, he made the international sign of the donut."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE0-H6jUxb8

Fernandinande said...

"If you had to choose between your phone and makeup, which would you give up?"

All media with "New York" in the name. And makeup - my blue color is natural.

MayBee said...

Ha hahahaha! I do find it hilarious when singers and actresses who obviously make money on their sex appeal complain about being judged on, or asked about, their looks.

Tyrone Slothrop said...

The town where Ariana Grande licked the donut is my home town, Lake Elsinore. I bask in the donut's reflected glory.

Nichevo said...

Somebody should have told Ariana that Laslo got there first. But told her AFTER she licked the doughnuts.

Fen said...

Shut up and sing, bitch. Nice cleavage too. Bend to the left for me. Ah thanks.

William said...

I haven't read Vonnegut in years, but he's one of those writers who become part of your DNA if you read them when young.........So far as invasive celebrities go, Ariana is pretty low key. I know of her donut licking scandal, but that's not much of a scandal. It's the only time I ever heard of her. She needs a good sex tape or DWI to attain the full status of a scandalous celebrity.

BN said...

Wait, this Arianna is different from the Huffington Post chick?

Damn! I've been wasting a lot of time trolling over there looking for a pretty neckid chick.