February 19, 2004

"A Pleasure Palace Without the Guilt." That encounter with the evil scale caused me to go to Whole Foods and buy a lot of meat and vegetables. I see they've just gotten their first Whole Foods in New York City and they seem to be getting all weird about it. This is from the NYT (the quote above is the effusive headline):
Whole Foods subscribes to a religion that might be called moralistic hedonism. With an eye to pleasing presentation and attractive packaging, it offers a Venusberg of gustatory temptations, often rarefied, and all guaranteed to be good for you.
Oh, really? You'd think people in New York would be more jaded, but here they are, all jazzed up about Whole Foods, which is a nice but normal amenity out here in the hinterlands.

Hinterlands? Did I write that? It's only because I'm coming down with a cold and raving absurdly. I've never written "hinterlands" before in my life. I'm not even sure what makes lands "hinter," though sure the quality of hinterness (aka hintertude) is something that would make you want to go forward out of the lands in question.

No comments: