November 2, 2004

Time to vote!

Well, I've done my class and my blogging, so now I'm going to vote, hoping to catch the post-lunch/pre-early-rush-hour window. The likelihood of my blogging about the voting experience is very high.

UPDATE: Mission accomplished (as they say...). I parked right outside my polling place, walked down a couple flights of stairs to the basement gym area (not the church-y library area where I voted in the primaries). There was one person checking in ahead of me. I got my ballot, headed over to one of several open booths, markered in my choices, including "no" on the swimming-pool-on-the-lakeshore refererendum, and was out of there in less than five minutes. I asked the people who were checking the registration lists if they had been busy, and they assured me they were. "Look, you're number 1385," one said as if I had a baseline number to compare that to. "So that's a lot?" "Yeah!" "I guess I picked a good window," I said and was assured that I had.

ANOTHER UPDATE: That's "swimming pool on the lakeshore," not "swimming on the lakeshore," as I had before. You're welcome to swim on the lakeshore. But there's a proposed public swimming pool -- because not everyone is happy with all the lake-swimming possibilities in this town -- and the people who want to build the pool want to be able to site it not just anywhere, but using lakeside land. I say no to that.

No comments: