June 28, 2005

Don't comp dessert! Comp the wine!

Nina has the scoop on last night's dinner at the Macaroni Grill, where they screwed up seating us at different tables, leaving me to draw on the butcher paper with the crayons they put out for kids.

It's really hard to do links to Nina's blog when she has photos, because she uses a system that produces a new link at each photo, but here's the beginning of the post.

Nina writes:
The hostess is most apologetic. The waiter is most apologetic. The manager is most apologetic. They offers us free dessert. What, we will then be forced to eat something for free that we wouldn’t have otherwise ordered??? My companion will have none of it. You want to comp something, comp the extra wine we’ve had to drink waiting for each other.

They do. M.Grill rules!

Here's the photo I took while waiting for Nina. I'd already ordered a whole bottle of wine -- $30 -- and was wondering how much of it I'd drink if Nina never showed.

Crayoned bottle shadows.

UPDATE: Oscar and I do an intervention and get Nina off Hello and onto Flickr, at which point she does a big post about Poland with lots of pictures.

9 comments:

Joaquin said...

And what kind of "vino" was it?

Ann Althouse said...

It was a nice chianti.

Pancho said...

Very nice art. Reminds me of Toulouse-Lautrec at the Moulin Rouge....!!

Joan said...

I love it when you and Nina both blog about the same event. You have such different personalities, it is so interesting to see what each of you chooses to say.

I always enjoy the chianti at Macaroni Grill. I agree with Nina -- for the price, and "what they're trying to do," the food is quite good.

Very nice work with the crayons, by the way. You were well up to the challenge of working with a very limited palette!

Oscar Madison said...

I have that problem linking to Nina too. Perhaps we could arrange some sort of intervention.

Mark Daniels said...

Drawing on the tables is one of the many fun things about eating at Macaroni's!

So is the bread.

So is the pasta.

So is the wine.

Too bad I have a meeting tonight or I'd suggest to my wife that we go to Macaroni's for dinner.

Say, Ann, this isn't an example of product placement, is it?

Ruth Anne Adams said...

I hope you also had the fava beans.

ploopusgirl said...

The Silence of the Lambs allusions just never get old!

Ann Althouse said...

Mark: Good concept. Local restauranters need to recognize me, give me free wine (free food, whatever), then hope to see pictures and compliments here.