June 16, 2006

So you think you can watch this show?

Kim Cosmopolitan explains the new rules on "So You Think You Can Dance." I didn't watch last season, so I'm not puzzled by the changes, just trying to figure it out for the first time. And I'm trying to decide if I want to watch that much dancing and that many dancers smiling ecstatically after they've danced and couples acting like they love each other much more than they possibly could. The highlight of Wednesday's show was when they made one guy -- Benji -- do some extremely sexual sort of dancing with the sexy partner they assigned to him and then, in the judging session, had him reveal that he'd just come back from his missionary work and was, apparently, dancing in a way that conflicted with his religion in a heroic demonstration of how desperately he wanted to win.

6 comments:

tiggeril said...

I watched last season, but it was one of those shows that could only hold my attention for half the season or so. It was yet another show where I wanted to throttle the idiotic live audience who booed anything except effusive praise from the judgees.

Randy said...

No.

(But thanks for asking ;-)

Ann Althouse said...

Moanique: Yeah, there's way too much throwing yourself all over the floor. And a creepy amount of standing with the legs apart and shaking.

Harkonnendog said...

Wow I couldn't disagree more. These are incredibly beautiful people- physical specimens- well trained artists- who get to showcase themselves. The dancing is beautiful!

Different strokes I guess.

Ann Althouse said...

Thanks, Bill. Can you explain why they got rid of Stanislav? If it was only that his partner was cut, why did they pretend it was two separate decisions? I especially liked Stanislav and it really affected my appreciation for the show to see him cut. I also find it hard to accept having the different styles of dancing. It makes it awfully hard to compare people. And what of the pairing of couples who have little in common? Why not pair two trained dancers so they could have some rapport?

homericsimile said...

I liked last season's rules better, where each week a partner was "randomly" selected. Partnering with a new person each week added to the challenge and allowed for some magic chemistry to happen.

Can't believe they cut Stanislav. :( I liked him a lot. Paso Doble (which I wouldn't know about aside from learning it on this show) looks so awesome when it's done right, and I thought he did a great job with it. Oh well.