August 3, 2006

Home!

In case you're worrying about me driving all over God's creation... I am home.

MORE: I had all the windows closed on the house. After that freak storm that blew a screen in, I thought the windows should be left shut -- summer heat be damned. While I was away there was an even more freakish storm, which I only read about, but reading about it, I was glad I'd sealed the place up. Coming into the house tonight, with the outdoor temperature a perfect 72°, I felt like I was walking into an attic. You know the dry, oven-like feeling of an attic in summertime? The whole house was like that, and the wood floors almost crackled under foot. I opened various windows and turned on some fans, and we are closing in on equilibrium now. Oh, that sounds like some metaphor for me! How I love home.

9 comments:

Brent said...

Seriously, isn't the feeling of coming home after a vacation like in the top 5 best "feelings"?

Welcome home Ann.

Ruth Anne Adams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Althouse said...

But you do have to get the bat out that night. A broom is effective, but what you're supposed to do is whack it hard when it's flying by, so that it falls stunned. Then you pick it up with heavy work gloves and take it outside. Or maybe put it in a plastic container and take it in to be tested.

Ruth Anne Adams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruth Anne Adams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
paul a'barge said...

Down here in Texas, we leave the air conditioning on, turned up to about 80. We get home, the house is all nice and tasty.

Tibore said...

"Then you pick it up with heavy work gloves and take it outside. Or maybe put it in a plastic container and take it in to be tested..."

There's also the long barbeque tongs too. Although, as HaloJones pointed out, that leaves the bat a tool to commit all sorts of mischief.

Icepick said...

How I love home.

Do you mean home as a concept, or your current home? Phrased differently, does a trip like this make you want to NOT sell your house?

Ann Althouse said...

Icepick: Something in between. My permanent place, set up for me, familiar. I like my house, but I could like another place too. Moving is a complex transaction, and I'm not doing the transaction unless I like everything about it. I've gotten pickier about what I want in a condo, and I'm not going to sell to a buyer who thinks it's a good year for a bargain. And since I fixed the house up a lot, I'm feeling more serene here. And you should see the 40 foot stretch of windows looking out into the trees. It's just beyond this computer screen. Quite lovely.