November 27, 2014

I'm delighted when I have an existing tag for something very specific that comes up in a new post.

In the case of that last post, it was: worms.

I have 31 posts with the tag "worms." Isn't that wonderful — the wonderful world of blog worms? For example, back in July 2013, I was (for some reason) interested in the question whether the word "hello" appears in the Bible, and I found:
Job 17:14 Then I could greet the grave as my father and say to the worms, “Hello, mother and sisters!”
There was the line from the "Ode to Joy": "even to the worm ecstasy is given."

And "Paragordius obamai — a parasitic worm" (named to honor Obama).

And the Jack Handey deep thought: "The other day I got out my can opener and was opening a can of worms when I thought, 'What am I doing?!'"

There was my favorite page from my old "Amsterdam Notebooks," page 21, with a worm in the apple:

Amsterdam Notebook
(Enlarge.)

There was that time back in 2005 when I was blogging and: "As I write this, the little kid across the street is screaming: 'A worm! A worm! A worm! Oh! Ah! A worm! A worm! A worm! Oh! Ah!'"

And that's me now, when something so specifically taggable comes up:  A worm! A worm! A worm! Oh! Ah! A worm! A worm! A worm! Oh! Ah! 

Or... there are so many exquisite little tags... I'm always exclaiming...  

Nostrils/nipples/nuance/nuns/neckties! Nostrils/nipples/nuance/nuns/neckties! Oh! Ah! Nothing/nostrils/nipples/nuance/nuns/neckties! Nostrils/nipples/nuance/nunsneckties! Nostrils/nipples/nuance/nuns/neckties! Oh! Ah!

17 comments:

Scott said...

After Thanksgiving, I'm going on the Martin Luther Diet of Worms.

Irene said...

That's a toothy worm.

Ann Althouse said...

LOL. Suddenly, I see there are 3 worms in the apple.

I don't think I've ever seen a real worm-in-apple situation. It's just a children's book meme.

Beldar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beldar said...

You need a tag for "Joy of Tags," Professor Althouse.

This says something significant, and to my taste appealing, about the way your mind works.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours, especially Messr. Meade.

traditionalguy said...

Checking in after three glasses of Pinot on an empty stomach...I have no idea what worms have to do with anything. But Michigan is beating Ohio State. Michigan is no worm.

buwaya said...

The kids these days don't know "Nobody loves me...".
The teachers too, it seems.

Leon said...

can't remember ever seeing a worm in an apple although i do recall a worm in something i was eating but can't remember what it was...could well have been an apple.

on an unrelated note i found an earthworm in a gutter i was cleaning last week.

Anonymous said...

"How to draw in the manner of 'Amsterdam; Althouse"

Orient the paper horizontally (Mental Landscape).

Words written loose but fitted / confined? Some emotive, some not.

Lines: horizontal, broken, herringbone. Some spiky.

Faces with exposed teeth; noses in multiple variations.

Frames may or may not contain drawing.

Laslo Spatula said...

"Nostrils/nipples/nuance/nuns/neckties! "

I could do something with this. Maybe not the 'nuance' part, but definitely the nuns, nipples and neckties.

I am Laslo.

Ann Althouse said...

""How to draw in the manner of 'Amsterdam; Althouse""

That particular page is drawn in the style of Mark Beyer, as indicated by the words "Just finished reading 'Amy and Jordan.'"

Ann Althouse said...

To check out the style of Mark Beyer, look here.

Most of the Amsterdam Notebooks is influenced by "Get Me a Table Without Flies Harry."

JohnG said...

Add one more item officially named after our president: a landfill.

http://dailycurrant.com/2014/11/17/north-dakota-names-landfill-after-obama/

Of particular note is: "It will be especially rich in toxic waste..."

Seems fitting.

Ann Althouse said...

Here's a nice and sharp reproduction of a couple pages of "Amy and Jordan," so you can see what was in my head.

gadfly said...

The Arch remains standing because the New Yorker neglected to give out the address for the monument.

brian said...

If you are not familiar with it, the theatrical rock classic Supper's Ready by Genesis is worth including in a discussion about worms. There is an excellent discussion about the meaning of the song lyrics that you can find online. Particularly how Peter Gabriel would introduce the song to his audience.
http://songmeanings.com/m/songs/view/1620/

ken in tx said...

It's easy to find wormy apples if you have your own apple tree, in fact it is hard to keep them worm free.